Smörgåstårta [vegan]

“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” – Pippi Longstocking Basically, my approach on taking...

“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” – Pippi Longstocking

Basically, my approach on taking on the task on making this Smörgåstårta. When I was younger my mum had to make it for every birthday of mine. Obviously, it involved lots of non-vegan ingredients like, salmon, tuna, mayo, shrimps, eggs etc pp. Yes, I don’t eat any of those things anymore, but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t love this savoury cake. So naturally, I missed it quite a bit after changing up my diet. You might think, that this would be the reason to try and replicate it straight away and to enjoy the vegan version of it. But I was actually quite hesitant to try and veganise it as I REALLY loved the non-vegan version my mum used to make for so many years. And let’s face it, mum’s food is better than yours anyway. Sure, mine is certainly healthier and I probably couldn’t stomach my mum’s cuisine on a daily basis anymore. But it’s always made with this extra sprinkle of love, which makes it just this tiny bit better than anything I make. However, I’m soon to be a grown up (my passport might argue I’m already one), so I grabbed all the courage I could find and tried my best. Only with the slight pressure of knowing it should better be freaking good. Well, giving the fact, that you can read this recipe in the world wide web now, it’s quite the spoiler in itself, how it turned out. Btw, yes, we’re not even going to talk about the lack of recipe since Christmas. And I’m moving back to the UK this year. Anyway, let’s get started with today’s recipe!    

Today's piece of happiness:



All you need:

White thin bread

Beet root cream:
2 beet roots (cooked and diced)
¼ onion (diced)
200 gr. vegan cream cheese
2 tbsp. horseradish 
Salt and pepper to taste

Avocado eggy salad
1 avocado (1/2 mashed, ½ diced)
50 gr. fresh spinach (chopped)
¼ cucumber (diced)
2 tsp. Lemon juice
1 tsp. Kala Manak salt (eggy smelling salt)
Pepper to taste

Chickpea “tuna” salad
1 can pre-cooked (~400 gr.) chickpeas
~5 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
1/4 onion (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
1 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp. (white wine) vinegar
1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. dill (I used frozen dill)
1 tsp. sriracha (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Decoration
200 gr. vegan cream cheese
Fresh chive, cherry tomatoes, radish or whatever your heart desires

1. Step: Beet root time
Add the diced beet root and all the other ingredients to a blender. Blend it up and set it aside until you need the cream. 

2. Step: Chickpea time
Place the drained and rinsed chickpeas in a flat bottom bowl/ deep plate. Chop the peeled onion into small pieces and add to the bowl. Take a masher and slightly mash the onions and chickpeas. Now add all remaining ingredients, apart from the tomatoes. Mix it until everything is well combined and then add the tomatoes and give it a couple gentle stirs. (You can find the detailed recipe here)

3. Step: Avocado time
Wash the fresh spinach very thoughtfully and slice into strings and place it into a bowl, big enough to fit the spinach and the avocado. Dice the avocado into small cubes and add to the spinach. Now add all the other ingredients and combine until everything is perfectly combined. Put into the fridge until you need the cream.

4. Step: Tårta time

To assemble the sandwich cake, lightly spread the avocado eggy salad on the first layer of bread. Cover with the second layer of bread and spread a layer of beet root cream cheese frosting on top. Add the third layer of bread and spread it with the mock tuna salad. 
Repeat this process once more, until you have two layers of each frosting and end with layer of bread. Frost this sandwich cake same way as you frost a dessert cake by covering the sides of the cake. Finally, decorate the cake whoever you like. I put some fresh chive all around it and topped it with quartered cherry tomatoes and sliced radish.
Little insider tip: I always loved it when the cake as extra soggy and infused (sound a lot fancier than it actually is!), so leftovers are always my favourite part about this cake. Or theoretically and potentially you could make it the night before and store it in the fridge overnight. I’m not organised enough, nor do I have the discipline to just let a ready-to-eat Smörgåstårta be for that, but it would probably be great for the taste (if you like your food to be rather soggy!). 

Here we go, I'm delighted to tell you: you have done it! Now go on and enjoy your self-made piece of happiness ♥ 


I’ll pack my bags now and move to the UK. But before this I’ll make a little pit stop at home and relax a little before moving for the fifth time in a year. Have a great September and I’m excited to see you for the next recipe. Until then, do not forget: Happiness can be delicious, so go on and spread some feliciousness 

Love, Miss Felicious XXX

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare