Quick & easy vegan Ramen

"Food for the body isn’t enough. There must be food for the soul.” – Dorothy Day Ramen is definitely one of those foods ...




"Food for the body isn’t enough. There must be food for the soul.” – Dorothy Day

Ramen is definitely one of those foods which are good for your body AND soul. My soul just needs comfort food at the moment, as my year had more of a shitty twist to it so far.
It basically went like "shit, shit, shit oh wait a moment… no just some more shit!" CAUTION! RAMBLING AHEAD: This month my cat died after being poisoned with rat poison. Once more I’m amazed by the stupidity and cruelty of humans. This horrible time showed me why I am so unbelievably happy with my diet. I do not contribute to cruelty. When my bundle of joy suffered, and died in my arms because of a cold hearted idiotic human, I saw the exact same pattern which I saw just a month before when I stood beside my Granny’s hospital bed on the day she died. The fight was scarily comparable, so who am I to see the similarities between a human and a cat but to say that pig and cows etc. do not feel the same? A couple of days later I saw the dog of my father’s family and the dog would not leave my side because animals know when we do not feel good and they try to make us feel better, but why do we award cats and dog with those abilities but not for examples pigs, who by the way are a lot more intelligent than dogs! I just can’t gripe this concept. Please don’t get me wrong I don’t have any hard feelings towards meat-eaters, you do you. I just see how easy my cruelty-free diet is on everyday basis and then so many people tell how much they’re amazed by what I do and whenever I cook something people do enjoy it (Yes, sometimes I get a little too excited about my hot sauce but you get it, don’t you?) but that they never could do it themselves. I can only speak for myself, but once I realised the costs of my diet (animal- and environment-wise) it truly was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made. You don’t even have to be a vegan or a vegetarian, leave out one meat dish a week and you can save an animal. Because this is simply economics: Supply and demand! By every piece of meat you buy YOU kill an animal and by every piece of meat you don’t buy YOU save an animal. It is as simple as that, so let’s not make it any more complicated. I personally think that it is amazing if you want to be vegetarian or a vegan but if it is also great if you “only” decide to eat fewer animal products. Because your choices directly save others and no matter how little the improvement is, it is an improvement and therefore I am grateful. All I want to ask you for is to try your best and show compassion. Not to forget the fact that the greatest foods are 100% cruelty-free anyway, like this quick and easy vegan ramen recipe. This recipe is the perfect combination of “cosy winter days in front of the fireplace”-vibes and a health booster. This recipe consists of simple and easily accessible foods. Most vegan ramen recipes include tofu or seitan, which can’t be enjoyed by everyone because of allergies, aren’t available in every supermarket and aren’t overly cheap. However, if you like one of those things you can simply add it to the recipe because this beauty is an allrounder. Enough said, let’s get started!    
 
  
Today's piece of happiness:



All you need: (for 4 portions)

Filling:
500 gr. mushrooms
500 gr. Pak-Choi
200 gr. ramen noodles or any other kind of noodles you like (I used instant ramen noodles)
2 garlic cloves (peeled and pressed)
sesame oil for frying (you can use a different oil if you don’t have sesame oil)
Salt & pepper for seasoning
1 quartered lime, some red chilli flakes and fresh coriander for topping

Stock:
1 litre vegetable stock
50 ml soy sauce
10 gr. fresh ginger (grated)
Juice of 2 limes
2 garlic cloves (peeled and pressed)




1. Step:

Heat the oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Once hot, add two cloves of pressed garlic and ginger. Sauté, stirring occasionally for approx. 5 minutes, or until the ginger and garlic are brown. Add the stock and soy sauce. Gently scrape up any bits that may have stuck to the bottom to enhance the flavour of the broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks, the more the flavour will deepen and develop. Taste broth and adjust seasonings as needed. 



2. Step:

Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.

3. Step:
Cut the mushrooms into quarters and cut the Pak-Choi into smaller pieces, just like this



Divide the leaves and stems. In a frying pan, fry two cloves of pressed garlic until golden. Add the Pak-Choi stems and the mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry until the mushrooms begin to take on a golden brown colour.



Then close the lid and sauté for a few minutes until they like more or less like . Season with pepper.


When the 15-minute-stock-cooking time is over, remove the veggies from the pan to the wok. Add the noodles and give it a proper stir.


Right before you are ready to serve, stir in the Pak-Choi leaves and cook for another three minutes.

To serve, divide ramen between four serving bowls. Top with desired toppings, such as some fresh lime, fresh coriander and chilli flakes.

Here we go, I'm delighted to tell you: you have done it! Now go on and enjoy your self-made piece of happiness ♥  
I hope I could bring some soul-food to your kitchen, which makes you feel warm and cosy.  
Have a great March and I’m really looking forward to seeing you next month, with a quite different kind of post!!! Stay excited! Until then:

Do not forget: Happiness can be delicious, so go on and spread some feliciousness 
Love, Miss Felicious XXX




You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare