Low carb chilli wraps [vegan]

"Some days you eat salads and go to the gym, some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.” -Unknown ...



"Some days you eat salads and go to the gym, some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.” -Unknown

Lucky you, that I’m here to rescue you from boring, bland and shitty salads! Let me take you on a little ride down my May-memory lane. I’d love to be a food blogger who tells you a heart-warming story about how I came up with this recipe. But let’s be real, I had too much lettuce and I didn’t want to eat any more salad. So, I HAD to come up with something special including lettuce. Yes, it’s just as hard as it sounds. + Let’s face it folks: Summer is coming! I could never follow a low carb diet but even I can’t deny, that cutting out some carbs in the evening makes a difference. You don’t slim down magically, but the tummy area does improve. Back to the story: I had too much salad in my fridge, so I set off on a little adventure to my basement. And just like magic kidney beans, lentils, sauerkraut and tomatoes appeared (or maybe they were the things closed to me; you decide which version you prefer). Energised from the magic I ran up the stair into my kitchen to fulfil more magic (or maybe I ran because basements are scary and freezing; again, you decide). While thinking of what I could possibly do with all of this, I saw a pack of tortillas in my kitchen and out of nowhere the idea of lettuce wraps with chilli, guacamole and sauerkraut. I don’t know why but it just sounded sooooo good in my head. Turns out, I’m not crazy but it’s actually delicious. Long story cut short: I went in the basement, I saw the ingredients, I conquered this dish! Tada, I present to you Germany meets Mexico alias chilli lettuce wraps with guacamole and sauerkraut. Let’s stop talking and let’s start cooking.

Today's piece of happiness:

All you need: (4 people)

Chilli:
100 gr. mountain lentils (slightly undercooked, e.g. they should cook for 30 minutes, then let them cook for 20 minutes)
500 gr. kidney beans
500 gr. tomato puree
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. sriracha
Salt and pepper to taste

Guacamole:
5 cherry tomatoes
2 big avocados
1 lime
1 garlic clove
1 tsp. paprika
½ tsp. sriracha
Salt and pepper to taste

+ 300 gr. warm sauerkraut
+ ~12 lettuce leaves (romaine salad, Chinese cabbage or normal lettuce)

1. Step: Chilli time



Cook your lentils for approx. 20 minutes or until they are cooked but still slightly undercooked. Peel and roughly chop the onion, then peel and finely chop the garlic. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Add the lentils and fry for a further 5.
Drain and add the beans. Tip in the tomato puree and all the spices, then stir well.


Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium-low and leave to tick away for 25 to 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened and reduced – keep an eye on it, and stir it every now and then.

2. Step: Guacamole time



To make the guacamole, peel and destone the avocados, then place in a flat bowl and mash them. Add the lime juice and garlic and sprinkle in the spices. If you have coriander leaves, add them as well. Stir it well. Quarter and add the tomatoes. Give it another stir and you’re good to go.   

3. Step: Serving time
Take your warm sauerkraut, washed lettuce (highly recommend romaine lettuce or Chinese cabbage), guacamole and chilli and wrap it up. It might be a little soggier than your regular wrap but it will taste great, trust me.  

Here we go, I'm delighted to tell you: you have done it! Now go on and enjoy your self-made piece of happiness ♥  

I hope you liked this special burger.
Have a great June and I’m excited to see you for the next recipe THIS month!  Because I set myself a challenge, to upload two recipes per month for the next couple of months. So, don't forget to check out the blog in Mid-June. Until then:

Do not forget: Happiness can be delicious, so go on and spread some feliciousness 
Love, Miss Felicious XXX


You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare